How to Apply
The Foundation receives many more deserving requests than it can possibly fund. Funding priority will be given to those proposals that fit the Foundation's guidelines and demonstrate the most potential according to the following criteria:
- Evidence of sound design, appropriate budget, well-qualified staff, and a strong implementation plan.
- Clear articulation of plans for continued support of the project beyond the term of a Mt. Sinai Health Care Foundation grant, e.g., earned income, long-term philanthropic support (endowment), support from an organization's core budget, or other means, when applicable.
- Clear description of measurable outcomes and how they will be achieved.
- Potential opportunities for working with other organizations to address issues of common concern specific to the proposed project, when applicable.
- Potential for the Foundation's investment to leverage additional resources for support of the project, when applicable.
- Demonstration of solid fiscal and management practices and governing board oversight.
- Demonstrated board commitment, leadership, engagement, and financial support.
We welcome and encourage an informal conversation with program staff prior to the submission of a grant request. This helps to focus a grant request and to avoid time and effort expended on ideas and projects that might be outside our grantmaking guidelines.
In general, the Foundation will not make grants for the following purposes:
- General operating expenses
- Direct provision of health services
- Building or equipment expenses or capital campaigns
- Fund-raising events
- Projects outside of Greater Cleveland
- Endowment funds
- Program advertising
No grants will be made to the following:
- Organizations not classified as 501(c)(3) tax-exempt by the Internal Revenue Service
Your assistance is important to the Foundation in giving your application the consideration it deserves. The Foundation will be unable to consider proposals that do not follow these directions:
- Use double spacing
- Use 12 point type
- Use standard 8.5 by 11 inch paper
- Use one side of the paper only
- Use no more than 10 pages for the proposal, exclusive of the one-page abstract, budget and budget narrative
- Number the pages
- Include one (1) original and two (2) complete copies of your submission, including three (3) complete sets of all requested attachments
- Do not use staples, binders or notebooks
Questions to Answer
Please prepare your application addressing the following ten (10) questions, numbering and typing each question as you go.
- What is the purpose of the project? Define the need, providing relevant background information.
- How will the need be addressed? Please state clearly who will do what, to/for whom, when, where, and why.
- What will the project accomplish if successful? What are the targeted goals? What will be the visible, tangible, objectively verifiable results? In other words, what are the short term and long term deliverables?
- What are the most important benchmarks of the project from start to finish: planning, start-up, implementation, and results? Please indicate the estimated time line to reach each one.
- How will successful attainment of targeted goals and impact of the project be measured?
- What challenges to success are anticipated from both the internal and external environments?
- What about the experience of the organization makes success possible, i.e., does the organization have a history of working with the defined population, of implementing this or similar programs, and of accessing outside support and expertise if necessary?
- Who are the individuals most responsible for the day-to-day management of the project and what are their qualifications? What percentage of staff time will be spent on this project? Please provide resumes in attachments.
- Are there plans to partner with other organizations to implement this project? If so, please identify those organizations and their qualifications specific to this project and describe the proposed relationship. Please provide letters of support verifying the partners' commitment to participate in the project.
- Please provide a project budget using the format below. Please also provide a budget narrative that includes an explanation for each line item for which Foundation support is requested. If the request is for consultant(s), please provide a copy of the consulting agreement. If requesting a multi-year grant, please provide a separate budget for each year. If project funding is being requested from other foundations, please identify these foundations and the amount of each request.
Please be sure to attach the following eleven (11) items:
- Cover letter signed by the applicant's board chair and chief executive officer (and project director, if appropriate).
- Title page that includes the name of the organization, address, application date, project title, amount requested for specified time period, contact person, title, phone number, fax number, e-mail address.
- One-page abstract
- Current Annual Report.
- Board list with business affiliations.
- List of contributors, including foundation grants (grantor and amount) and names of major individual contributors for the last 12 months.
- Most recent audited financial statements.
- Resumés of individuals listed in question 8 of your proposal to the Foundation.
- Proof of IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
- Letters of Support/Commitment (if applicable, see Question 9)
- Consultant Contract (if applicable)
- Grantee Profile Form (MSWord) (PDF)
The Board of Directors of the Foundation meets on a quarterly basis. Grant application deadlines are:
- January 1 (Proposals due January 3, 2017)
- April 1 (Proposals due April 3, 2017)
- July 1 (Proposals due July 3, 2017)
- October 1 (Proposals due October 2, 2017)
When deadlines occur on a weekend or holiday, grant proposals will be due on the first business day following the actual deadline.
The Foundation will acknowledge receipt of your proposal within two weeks following the most recent deadline and will advise you if any additional information is needed.